Invacare Boards
March 29, 2024, 04:23:14 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Invacare Boards.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the HELP by clicking the link below. You may have to REGISTER before you can post: click the register link below to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home   Forum   Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

trouble with tdx5

Recent Items

Views: 43
Comments (0)
By: BamaBobAlex

Views: 29
Comments (0)
By: KiwiJenn

Views: 24
Comments (0)

Views: 20
Comments (0)
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: trouble with tdx5  (Read 2433 times)
june

View Profile
« on: May 09, 2008, 01:09:11 pm »

We recently purchased a new tdx5 for a very active w/c user, at the price of $19,000. The chair is 5 months old and we're already having problems.
It seems that any type of moisture causes problems. We live in Canada with snow and rain, and of course some sunshine.  Because the user goes out in all types of weather, we need a chair that is reliable.
Problems are: chair turned itself on and went into the recline mode after it was cleaned...no one was home and the chair was not able to be reset until well into the evening. (this happened twice).
Yesterday it was rainy, the chair stopped and left the user stranded.
Has any one else had this problem and what did you do about it?
It makes me really nervous that a chair that is only 5 months old is "acting up" already. My feeling is that following the repair people taking a look at it and we are still having problems, it should be replaced.
How do we go about finding a chair that meets the needs of the active user?
thanks june
Report Spam   Logged
KiwiJenn
Administrator
Disability: Neuromuscular Condition
Invacare Equipment: 22 February 2005 - TDX 5, with Tarsy Tilt/Recline and Articulating Elevating Legrests. December 2013 - TDX SR T/R/E/PL

test

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2008, 05:24:46 pm »

Hi June:)

The TDX 5 is a very reliable chair and can drive over most terrains.  I'm also an active wheelchair user so needing a reliable chair is important for me.
Where did you buy the TDX 5 from?

I haven't come across a chair turning itself on and reclining on it's own, but I guess things can happen like that.  Maybe one of the tech's here can comment on this.
Report Spam   Logged

jakeyboy1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2008, 08:55:54 pm »

Well, anything is possible.....
If it is reclining....then electricity is getting to the recline motor.  Either the switch is stuck or there is a short in the connection.  Have your tech check all connections and switchs.

Regarding not working in wet, I would check all your connections and seal them with electrical tape.  Sometimes water can get in through a bad/loose connection.  Typically the TDX is a great reliable chair.
Report Spam   Logged
Shirley_hkg

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 03:14:35 am »

TDX 5 should be using GB motors and LCD display , right ?  What does it read on the display ?
Report Spam   Logged
june

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2008, 10:59:27 pm »

Thank you to all that have replied.
The chair was bought in Alberta Canada.
Although this may be a reliable chair in many respects... the service department advise me that the computer(0r whatever it is called) is at the bottom on the back of the chair and reacts to any moisture or condensation that might gather in that area...thus making the chair stop working.
We have waited for 10 years for a new chair..previously owning a storm arrow G/B, which has not been perfect but is still operating, to some extent, as a backup chair and has seen much in the way of weather and wear and tear.  
I thought I had researched a new chair well and am well aware of the problems that mechanical/computer operated devices can cause.
After all these years, I would expect that there would be some type of reliable wheelchair out there.  
We don't need a "fair weather chair" that is only reliable on warm days..after all ...we live in Canada.
I will be talking to the Invacare Rep. in our area and see what can be done about this problem and will be talking to Invacare Canada and the International company.
I just wanted to know from others ..if you, have had this type of problem.
The service department is well aware... that this is placement of the computer is an issue and just tell us that there is nothing they can do about it .
Report Spam   Logged
Shirley_hkg

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2008, 06:32:02 am »

Smiley
:p :p I never have this problem here in Hong Kong though the climate is hot & humid.  However, my friend's 10 year old ARROW has stopped several times when coming out of air-conditioned places.  You may seal the controller's cover with silicon sealant when it dries up.

Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged
june

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2008, 07:16:01 pm »

This problem is not over. After all the questions and information I asked, it seems like Invacare knew there were problems with moisture and the controller.

I am more than disappointed because "how many other people have been having this problem and they saw it is "something else".

Shame on Invacare for having a chair on the market at a very high price knowing that there are issues with the design.

I am sure that they will be quite concerned if the chair stops and the person is "serviourly injured" because of the problem.

Maybe you on this board are lucky enough not to have have this problem but I will assure you that we have had..and am disappointed and upset that it means days, weeks, months of being without a chair and a whole lot of money in repair bills.

We were so excited to get a new chair and "poof" all has vanished.

Invacare Canada tech told me that this chair cannot be cleaned with water..
it says so in the manual...hello the manual does not come till the chair has been purchased.

It is absolutely a shame that this company can sell a chair knowing that there are extreme issues in reliabilitiy and safey.

I am sure that there are many of you who read this board that don't understand our frustration and disappointment. But for us it means being without a power wheelchair for a lot of time and seriously affects our sense of independence. june
Report Spam   Logged
KiwiJenn
Administrator
Disability: Neuromuscular Condition
Invacare Equipment: 22 February 2005 - TDX 5, with Tarsy Tilt/Recline and Articulating Elevating Legrests. December 2013 - TDX SR T/R/E/PL

test

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2008, 03:52:47 am »

Hi June:)

I'm sorry to hear that your friend is having a lot of issues with there TDX 5:(   I have had pole motor issues on a different model powerchair years ago and it was quite frustrating, so I can understand your frustration.

I guess if the user is driving through a lot of snow and water puddles it might be a good idea to look at a RWD powerchair as the Power module (brain of the chair which has plugs connecting to the motors) is higher off the ground than it is on the TDX Series.  

The tech is right about the position of the Power Module placement on the TDX.  

the service department advise me that the computer(0r whatever it is called) is at the bottom on the back of the chair and reacts to any moisture or condensation that might gather in that area...thus making the chair stop working.
From what you have said, it's not the design, it's the moisture that is the TDX 5 main problem as well as the recline operating on it's own after been cleaned.

Shame on Invacare for having a chair on the market at a very high price knowing that there are issues with the design.
When cleaning any powerchair, just wipe it over with a soapy wet cloth (dishwashing liquid is a good cleaner), having actual water sprayed on the chair is basically asking for trouble.   If the wheels are needing cleaning via a hose, keep the water spray low and away from the plugs:)  I know when I have to get mud off my wheels, I use a hose, but the hose is on very lightly and I have a brush nearby to help remove the mud. I also keep the water well away from the connections.

If out in the rain, cover the controller with plastic, I see the joystick controller is a MK6 MPJ so not many ways for water to get inside, but it is a good idea to cover it with plastic if wheeling in the rain.   With any joystick controller, if water gets inside then it won't work anymore.

Just another thought is to avoid wheeling through 'big' water puddles, as that will surely wet some parts of the Power Module and connections.  Try to avoid driving through 'soft' snow that creates the chair to sink in the snow as this will wet connections and that would be trouble too.  If this isn't possible, maybe put some plastic or something covering underneath the power module so moisture doesn't get to the connections.  Wheeling on firmer snow be better as the connections are higher off the snow.  Just some ideas.  I have never wheeled through snow myself so just thinking off the top of my head:)

I haven't yet 'touch wood' had any moisture problems and I have wheeled in the rain lots.

Maybe talk to Invacare about the moisture issues and explain that the person lives in a wet and snowy area which they will be wheeling on lots, and see if it's possible to replace the TDX 5 with one of there RWD powerchairs, Torque SP, Ranger or an Arrow.

Again I feel your frustrations and hope the above idea's might be helpful or  replacing the chair, if that can be done.
Report Spam   Logged

june

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2008, 04:45:13 pm »

Thanx for the helpful info.
Right now the whole thing is being "looked at" by a 3rd party.
I hope this can be resolved.
All your comments are helpful and I appreciate them .
june
Report Spam   Logged
Alejandrina
Disability: duno
Invacare Equipment: duno

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2019, 01:47:49 am »

Regarding not working in wet, I would check all your connections and seal them with electrical tape.  Sometimes water can get in through a bad/loose connection.  Typically the TDX is a great reliable chair.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: