Invacare Boards
March 28, 2024, 07:34:59 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Invacare Boards.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the HELP by clicking the link below. You may have to REGISTER before you can post: click the register link below to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home   Forum   Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

TDX SP Suspension Screwed Up?

Recent Items

Views: 43
Comments (0)
By: BamaBobAlex

Views: 29
Comments (0)
By: KiwiJenn

Views: 24
Comments (0)

Views: 20
Comments (0)
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: TDX SP Suspension Screwed Up?  (Read 4767 times)
Alin0s

View Profile WWW
« on: August 02, 2008, 02:22:26 pm »

I think my SP's suspension is messed up. I think my old DME did something to it when I got it. I have noticed this problem in the beginning but now it has gotten more noticeable for some reason. I think there is something wrong with the suspension. A lot of my friends who have SP's say its like riding on a cloud, rocks and pebbles and cracks in the sidewalk are nothing. For me I feel every single little thing, the stone sidewalk at the bank made of bricks is a nightmare. The sidewalks here are even more nightmarish, with 1-2 inch depth cracks, I know with these sidewalks I will feel it, but the main roads like when I drove to the library had good level sidewalks yet I still felt every single bump and crack. Don't even get me started on gravel!

How do I go about getting my chair's suspension checked to see if it is too tight. I looked in my TDX SP service manual but it shows nothing on tuning the suspension.

I know there are two elements to the suspension, the gas locking cylinders and the springs. But the service manual tells nothing of adjusting them.
Report Spam   Logged

Look at the upsides of disabilities.

Powerchair's, cars to the disabled, get some tuner's on the road (Need for Speed reference)

Hey! This is a Stealth headrest here, you are not supposed to see me. Do I have this thing turned on correctly. Grrrrrrr, Stealth! Why didn't you show me how to turn on
DREDD

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2008, 01:57:55 pm »

Do you have solid tyres or pneumatic?
Solids make for a harder ride, also the suspension is more to keep the wheels on the ground at all times and to make a smooth ride as you go over curbs.
You may have to go back to your supplier and see what's going on.
Report Spam   Logged
Alin0s

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2008, 02:18:15 pm »

my dumb dealer made me go solid because of the indoor/outdoor scenario... but i am always on pavement or gravel so its not like i have loads of chances to get a flat.

I don't have that supplier anymore, should i have my new supplier look at my chair?

i think its probably the tires i have, can i get my tires switched or do those require factory switchage...
Report Spam   Logged

Powerchair's, cars to the disabled, get some tuner's on the road (Need for Speed reference)

Hey! This is a Stealth headrest here, you are not supposed to see me. Do I have this thing turned on correctly. Grrrrrrr, Stealth! Why didn't you show me how to turn on
John McKee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2008, 06:04:01 pm »

When I went from the 3G Arrow to the TDX SP suspension it was a noticeable difference. The SP is much smoother over cobble stone walkways. Both chairs had foam filled tires.
Report Spam   Logged

Homepage: http://www.JohnMcKee.Info

Handicap Information and Project Links: http://homepage.mac.com/john_mckee/Gimp.html

It works!  Now if only I could remember what I did...
KiwiJenn
Administrator
Disability: Neuromuscular Condition
Invacare Equipment: 22 February 2005 - TDX 5, with Tarsy Tilt/Recline and Articulating Elevating Legrests. December 2013 - TDX SR T/R/E/PL

test

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2008, 06:21:02 pm »

Alin I think it's more to do with the foam filled tires you now have on your TDX SP.  If you want to go back to pneumatics then ask for them on your next tire change.

As Dreed said foam filled tires do give a harder ride compared to having pneumatic's.  I have foam filled tires on my TDX 5 and won't go back to pneumatics tires ever.  Having no flats is great as I can drive over anything I like and I don't have to pump the tires up every two weeks.  I've had a nail sticking out of my tire, a long wire and I run over glass a lot from broken bottles on the ground.

Actually driving outdoors on pavements and gravel can give you 50/50 chance of getting flats as you don't look at what your driving over all the time.

my dumb dealer made me go solid because of the indoor/outdoor scenario... but i am always on pavement or gravel so its not like i have loads of chances to get a flat.
Report Spam   Logged

Alin0s

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2008, 06:40:43 pm »

Quote from: KiwiJenn;1239
Alin I think it's more to do with the foam filled tires you now have on your TDX SP.  If you want to go back to pneumatics then ask for them on your next tire change.

I have never had pneumatics.

I talked privately with TDXSP4ME and he told me to call Invacare, since my ride seems WAY to rough to even be "owed" to the tires. I get literally ZERO dampening of jarring motion. gravel is a nightmare, cracks in the sidewalks are a living nightmare, and god forbid make me drive on cobblestone. We both think something is fishy with my suspension.

I will continue to look at the suggestions here as you guys throw them into the pot.
Report Spam   Logged

Shirley_hkg

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2008, 06:53:01 am »

Cheesy
I've  advised all my friends to stay away from TDX, if they run a lots on street.  TDX has no suspension at all with its drive wheel and front caster.  The walking beam that links the caster and drive wheel is a rigid piece of alu.  Spring / gasket is for damping only.  That's why it is so noisy on pavement.  Pneumetic tires do help.  However, it's hard to find pneumetic tires for casters at its size.  Last week, I found 6" pneumetic wheels which may replace  the solid rubber.  Hope the improvement is noticeable.  Stay tuned !
Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged
Alin0s

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2008, 04:30:11 pm »

Sadly I did not have a choice. Not to mention I have bad depth perception and with a turning radius like an RWD I would be crashing into practically everything. Our house is WAAY too tight to have a RWD. I can BARELY make some of the turns in this house with CWD! This house was not originally wheelchair friendly, we added this big ramp to make it so, but the insides are still very tight for a chair. Maybe my next chair could POSSIBLY be a RWD, but I have huge doubts because I have that bad depth perception. I think Invacare SHOULD focus on suspension in the TDX-(Whatever the next two letters they will use are)

Please tell me how the switch to pneumatics for the casters goes.
Report Spam   Logged

KiwiJenn
Administrator
Invacare Equipment: 22 February 2005 - TDX 5, with Tarsy Tilt/Recline and Articulating Elevating Legrests. December 2013 - TDX SR T/R/E/PL

test

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2008, 05:34:22 pm »

Alin after talking to you about this issue on AIM messenger yesterday, you seemed to understand 'now' that the front castor's will not give at any bumps as they are solid castors.  You were telling me you feel the bump as the front castors ride over the bump, this is normal as again they are soild castors.  The SureStep is meant to be much much better on the TDX SP and TDX SR compared to the older TDX 3, TDX 4 and TDX 5.   I wish I could test drive a TDX SP or TDX SR to compare the difference to the older TDX Series to see if there is much improvements

Basically as you use a new chair, it will become a little noisy over time, any powerchair does.

All CWD powerchairs have solid front and rear castors, this is something you need to consider when looking at powerchairs and even think about compromising as you can't have it all in one powerchair.  The other thing everyone should think about when looking at getting a CWD is what type of drive wheel pressure you want - pneumatics of foam filled.

It took me a whole month to decide if I should go for a CWD or stick with a RWD.  I had to look at all the advantages and disadvantages of both, then see which was better for my needs at the time.  

About pneumatics for the front and rear castors - I asked Invacare (Hymie when he worked at Invacare) about this soon after the TDX was released and I was told that if you put pneumatics on, then you will eliminate the Sure Step as it will struggle to work and the rear castors won't act as stablizers too well.

Alin I think you should ask for pneumatic tires for the 'drive wheels' on your next tire change!  Give that a go and see if there is any improvements.  Just watch out for glass:p

Some advice for you when outdoors..
When driving over a footpath and it has cracks and bumps in it, don't expect to have a smooth ride at full speed as your wheeling along.  You have all solid wheels so you will get a rough ride.  For me, I have all solids too and I feel the bumps as well but I have to compromise a bit when driving along a bumpy footpath.  I slow down when I see cracks and I go over them at slower speed, I still feel the bump as the soild front castor hits the bump first.  Try slowing down a bit when you come to cracks on a footpath.

I'm a very active user in my powerchair, I wheel outdoors to most places I go.  My TDX 5 is almost as good as my old Arrow for outdoor use for me.  I'd give my TDX 5 90% for outdoor use and I'd give my Arrow 100% for outdoor use for 'my needs'. The only difference is on my TDX, I do feel the bumps a bit more as the solid front castors hit the bumps first and the castor has no give, the castors on my Arrow did as they were foam filled and had a little give in them.
Report Spam   Logged

Shirley_hkg

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2008, 02:25:54 am »

Sad
MWD chairs like Quantum Q6000 and Quickie Rythem did a pretty good job on their suspension.  TDX use solid walking beam for the drive wheel.  Furthermore,  Invacare try to dress up its rear suspension as a shock absorber. It looks like very much that it does fool me.

It turns out to be just a piece of spring coil with a long bolt , pretending a damping piston of a real shock absorber.
Sad
Smiley
Smiley
Hope pneumetic caster wheels will help us out that  noisy bumpy ride.
Smiley

Report Spam   Logged
Shirley_hkg

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2008, 02:28:06 am »

Sad
MWD chairs like Quantum Q6000 and Quickie Rythem did a pretty good job on their suspension.  TDX use solid walking beam for the drive wheel.  Furthermore,  Invacare try to dress up its rear suspension as a shock absorber. It looks like very much that it does fool me.

It turns out to be just a piece of spring coil with a long bolt , pretending a damping piston of a real shock absorber.
Sad
Smiley
Smiley
Hope pneumatic caster wheels will help us out that  noisy bumpy ride.
Smiley

Report Spam   Logged
KiwiJenn
Administrator

test

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2008, 03:00:57 am »

Hi Shirley Smiley

Let us know how the ride is with those pneumatic csstors on the front of your TDX 5:)  I'd be interested in how the SureStep and Stability Lock works with softer tires, as well as the TDX going up a 3" cut curb.

The castor looks pretty big, how will you get it to go round without hitting the top of the castor fork?
Report Spam   Logged

DREDD

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2008, 02:07:59 pm »

Kiwijenn is correct in her comments.
As a technician I have to sometimes answer questions like the one Alinos is asking, so here it is from my point of view.
There is no suspension on an Invacare 6 wheel chair, that I know of, it has a stability profile. That is the springs and rams keep all 6 wheels on the ground at all times. The springs work by allowing the castors to follow the contour of ground and to prevent the chair from tipping forward if you stop suddenly. Without this abillity the chair would rock on 3 or 4 wheels and make for an even rougher ride. The rear springs on a TDX chair are shock absorbers, sort of. The springs push the castors down and allow movement over terrian. The bolts with the plastic bush reduce noise when the castors drop down, without them you will always here a knocking sound. Other companies may produce chairs with suspension, but what has been comprimised to do this and they may have copyright laws to protect there product. Generally I think Invacre make a pretty good chair, maybe a bit industrial looking but maybe a bit safer than some of the stuff I have seen.
In the end the choice is, suspension or stability.
Report Spam   Logged
Alin0s

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2008, 02:55:27 pm »

Great explanation DREDD!

I will have to admit that I want a good blend of both stability and suspension. But as Jenny says, you can't have a chair that does everything. :p

But can I at least have a chair with a built in toaster? (just kidding)
Report Spam   Logged

Shirley_hkg

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2008, 06:06:58 am »

Smiley

Cheesy  KiwiJenny,
   you are right.  The wheel looks a bit bigger  than the original one but there is a half inch of room from the fork.  I'll give it a try anyway.  This wheel is bought from a local  hardware shop for a new trolley of another TDX.  

Smiley It sells US$12.  

Cheesy I'll post it here when I  installed them. Cheesy

My TDX-5's original solid casters climb 3" kerb effortlessely.  It is the drive wheels that you should watch out.  With pneumatic tyres on the drive wheels,  I can get over it safely with a little gas from my fingers,  Pneumatic casters surely will make it even easier,  but I aim at getting rid of the annoying noisy ride over cracks.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: