Invacare Boards
April 19, 2024, 04:44:48 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Invacare Boards.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the HELP by clicking the link below. You may have to REGISTER before you can post: click the register link below to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home   Forum   Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

What has been your experience with GB motors?

Recent Items

Views: 43
Comments (0)
By: BamaBobAlex

Views: 29
Comments (0)
By: KiwiJenn

Views: 24
Comments (0)

Views: 20
Comments (0)
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: What has been your experience with GB motors?  (Read 2423 times)
Kevin G

View Profile
« on: October 21, 2008, 05:40:45 pm »

Hello,

I would appreciate feedback from anyone who has been using GB motors within the last two to three years? In a recent chair comparison test I was impressed by how well the TDX SP performed.  However its 5.8 mph brush motor speed was tuff to downscale to since I’ve gotten use to 8 mph in my present chair.  Invacare offers their 7 mph GB motors as an upgrade but I have found little positive feedback from ones that have personal experience with these motors in recent years.  I know these motors had a rocky beginning over 7 years ago but since Invacare restored its 5 year warranty on these motors in 2007 I would like to know if that has translated into a trouble free GB experience for those who use these motors daily?
I really want to be using the GB motors but I don’t want to be living under the shadow that they need to be inordinately replaced at any particular moment?  

Can any real world users share some of their personal incite?
Report Spam   Logged
KiwiJenn
Administrator
Disability: Neuromuscular Condition
Invacare Equipment: 22 February 2005 - TDX 5, with Tarsy Tilt/Recline and Articulating Elevating Legrests. December 2013 - TDX SR T/R/E/PL

test

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 07:59:23 pm »

Hi Kevin:)

Well I've used the 'Standard' (silver) 8.5mph GB motors on my Arrow for 8 years and now I currently use a TDX 5 with the HDTTGB motors (black) at 7mph.  I've had some replacement GB motors but overall they have been 'very' beneficial for 'my use' on powerchairs. I won't go back to pole motors ever!

I've had my fair share of GB motor problems with the old silver GBs and the new HDTTGB motors due to getting both Arrow and TDX 5 at the time of the motors being newly released.  I won't go into detail about the old GBs as they not available anymore.  

When I first got my TDX 5 in February 2005 the HDTTGB motors were faulty (they worked but had scuffying sound from both motors) so I got them replaced while I was at Invacare setting up the chair.

Recenty I got both HDTTGB motors replaced as they were not holding too well on a shopping mall moving escalator, the HDTTGB motors used to hold the chair still on these escalators.  I went to Invacare NZ and we tested my chair on the correct ramp steepness and my motor was not holding (brake or something) so both HDTTGB motors were replaced.  DREED if your reading this, maybe you could explain the problem I had as it's too technical for me:p  Apart from the above problem and the first replacement I haven't had any problems with my HDTTGB motors.  My TDX 5 is going great.

Basically the HDTTGB motors are meant to be quite, so if you hear some weird sound while the motor is in motion then there could be a fault or a problem arising.  If I hear anything coming from my motors I record the odd sound info over a week then I contact Invacare or WC Service.  I never let the problem continue to happen till the motors stop working.  I've never had a GB motor stop working on me, but some people have.

The HDTTGB motors are 'standard' on the TDX SR and are useful for users in so many ways, terrain you wheel on mostly, user's weight, and more.  

The TDX SP comes 'standard' with pole motors only, it does not get upgraded to HDTTGB motors.
Report Spam   Logged

jakeyboy1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2008, 10:09:24 am »

Hey Kevin G, (and everybody else reading this)
If you don't know me or havn't read my posts, I work at a wheelchair shop.  I work on a lot of wheelchairs mostly power.  I have seen a lot of 4 pole and GB motors come through my shop.  Yes, I have seen some problems with GB's.   But everytime Invacare will warrenty them.  They have a 5 year warranty!!  If you are a active user, you will wear out 4 pole motor on the average of 2-3 years.  If you have to change your GB's within the 5 years, it is no different then changing your 4 pole motors.  

From a service techs perspective, the frustrating thing about GB's verses 4 pole is you can't work on GB's.  If there is something wrong with it, the only thing you can do is replace it.  If a 4 pole motor isn't working correctly, you can take it apart fix it or even "rebuild" it.  

Bottom line.  GB's are smoother, quietier, more powerful and faster.  I would defently recomend them over pole motors.  If I were placing a family member in a power chair.....I would defently give them GB's without hesitation.
Report Spam   Logged
giv-way

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2008, 12:00:52 pm »

Same endorsement here with my GB motors I go further quieter and power to spare.......the new GB's dont seem to have the keyway problems the older GB's had
Rene
Report Spam   Logged
DREDD

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2008, 01:06:44 pm »

Hi guys
Jakeboy, I did not know you are a tech, cool. Any other techs out there?
As some of you know I'm a tech for Invacare NZ and I see a lot of chairs come thru, both repair and new set ups.
Your chair is a part of you and should be serviced often, just like you do with a car. I know it's not easy for some but anybody who knows how a spanner works can do it. Like any mechanical and electrical device, they wear out, the same applies with GB motors.
The comment Kiwijenn made regarding motors holding on a slope is simple. The steeper the slope, the more they have to hold. A gradient value of about 20 to 1 is used to calculate how much ramp angle is required to keep the chair from rolling back, any more and the chair will struggle to hold. We also had a bad run of dodgey motors that has now been rectified but generally they are good motors.
Kevin G, go with the GBs. Doesn't matter what you have, it's always going to spend time in the shop at some point.
And for you speed demons out there, we just had a TDXSR in our shop running GBs with 16" wheels. Estimated top speed, around 14kph.
Report Spam   Logged
jakeyboy1

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2008, 04:26:53 pm »

Hey Dredd,
Ever try running 36volts to GB motors?Huh
Report Spam   Logged
KiwiJenn
Administrator
Invacare Equipment: 22 February 2005 - TDX 5, with Tarsy Tilt/Recline and Articulating Elevating Legrests. December 2013 - TDX SR T/R/E/PL

test

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2008, 04:46:22 pm »

woah:eek:  I was wondering when you would do that haha Were they those big wide black 16" wheels or a different set?  Wants on my TDX 5 as long as they don't make chair any wider!!  DREDD you might be getting a phone call:D:p

Quote from: DREDD;1416
And for you speed demons out there, we just had a TDXSR in our shop running GBs with 16" wheels. Estimated top speed, around 14kph.
Report Spam   Logged

Shirley_hkg

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2008, 08:19:25 am »

Yew !  Love to see 16" tyre on new GB.  Post some pics !
Report Spam   Logged
DREDD

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2008, 12:08:55 pm »

Hi all
Sorry I haven't replied, been away on a cruise around Australia for a month but now I'm back.
Slow down guys..., it was a one of and sorry no pics. If we get another one I'll take some pics and post them.
36vts, hmm, have to look into that.
Report Spam   Logged
jakeyboy1

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2008, 01:54:54 pm »

36volts increases speed by 33%.  Makes it hard to charge.  You have to unplug the batteries to charge and charge each one separatly, or get a 36volt charger.

Can't drive for more then 15-20 before the controller over heats (learned this the hard way).  You could put a cpu fan on the controller and double your run time.....again voice of experience here.

Dredd, it makes for a lot of fun, but not very practical for a "everyday" user.
Report Spam   Logged
giv-way

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2008, 03:48:56 pm »

Is there a magnetic pickup coil to limit the GB'S RPMs if so that could be fooled into counting every second rev..........possibilities?
Rene
Report Spam   Logged
jakeyboy1

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2008, 07:17:02 pm »

Written like a engineer........or at least somebody that thinks like one....
Report Spam   Logged
Shirley_hkg

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2008, 06:32:17 am »

Smiley
Very interested to know if the motors and controller survive a 36V leads.  Does it really run faster ?  The controller sounds putting a limit on top speed.  You learn it on your way down slope.
Smiley
I recalled that someone said on this forum long ago that it not difficult to break the GB speed limit ; but he refused to disclose how ?  Sad
Report Spam   Logged
Kevin G

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2009, 02:33:04 pm »

Thanks to everyone who kindly took the time to share their input on current GB motors.  I just found out today my prescription for my chair a TDX SP was approved! The GB motors and electronic upgrade however was denied.  So if I am willing to pay out of pocket for the GB upgrade at the time of ordering then it can be specially fitted to be in essence an SR with SP stickers.  Any last cautionary thoughts?

Thanks....
Report Spam   Logged
KiwiJenn
Administrator

test

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2009, 03:34:49 pm »

That's great your TDX SP was approved.

Shouldn't they be ordering you a TDX SR if your willing to pay for the HDTTGB motor package?
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: