Invacare Boards
March 29, 2024, 01:07:29 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Invacare Boards.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the HELP by clicking the link below. You may have to REGISTER before you can post: click the register link below to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home   Forum   Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

new member with questions on updating my tdx3 power whhelchair

Recent Items

Views: 43
Comments (0)
By: BamaBobAlex

Views: 29
Comments (0)
By: KiwiJenn

Views: 24
Comments (0)

Views: 20
Comments (0)
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: new member with questions on updating my tdx3 power whhelchair  (Read 2544 times)
kb48

View Profile
« on: September 06, 2009, 11:33:39 pm »

hi let me start with my name wich is robert fawcett. i have only bin using a powerchair for almost 5 years. i started with a quad cane than to a walker than to a manaul chair and than a power. i have server back issuses and serve astma. i broke my back 17 years ago. i had a 1963 1.5 ton dodge truck fall on my head while i was working on it. it broke my back and i compreshion  fratcured 3 vertabrae and compress 50% of the spinal cord. the doctors said i was lucky to be alive yet along walking. they fused 5 vertabrae in my back and the first of the year i had to have 3 vertabrae in my neck fused. now  i am hardly walking any more. i just fell 8 weeks ago and fractured my plevis. i have know bin recomended  to look into having my tdx3 power wheelchair upgraded to power tilt recline and power elevating leg rests. they said i need to do this for better postioning and for pain relief as my back is getting worse. they have also said it is just a matter of time before they are going to have to fuse the rest of my lower bacxk as it is wearing out. the questions have are what would be the best chair for me. i have had great luck with my tdx3. i have only had 2 controls 6 motors several  manual elevating legs rests and to many tires to count replaced on the chair. my chair gets heavy use and has okoo hours on it. the chair now has a gear box seping greese from a soft plug in the gear box. i have talked to my wheelchair suplier and he recomend waiting 3 mounths as the chair will be 5 year old than and medicare should replace it. i am looking into getting one of the new tdx models. but i have heard alot of pros and cons here on the sight. i have medicare and wa state medicaid for funding. my main question are what back should i go with and can some one post pitcures of the differant backs. i realy want something with susport and cushiong for my back. my tdx 3 has the j2 countor back right know and it is great. i already have a roho cushion infact i just got a new one this week as my 4 year old cushion just gave out and it was a roho also. i am also wondering if they offer power elevating swing away leg rest. i sarted out with just the manual raising foot plate. it does not work for me becauce i have edema of the left leg and need to elavate it and yes i have to a ted hose on the left leg. so do they offer this type leg rest are only the center power foot plate for any of the new tdx models. the foot plate is also i trip hasered for me as i tranfere from my wheel chair buy myself with the aid of a walker. any help would be great. thanks robert:
Report Spam   Logged
jakeyboy1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2009, 06:49:13 pm »

Hi Robert and welcome to the boards...

Go with the TDXsp.  The "conventional" back that comes standard has 1 1/2" padding.  It can be built up any place you want.  The power center mount footrest is more durable then the the swingawy power.
Report Spam   Logged
kb48

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2009, 10:57:21 pm »

jakeyboy1 thank you much. but i still have a couple questions. 1 what happens to my old power wheelchair if medacare replaces it with a new one. i know it is going to need at least one new motor and other parts. right know it has a motor weeping greese from a soft plug in the gear box. 2 wich is the best style of head rest to got with. i am just a little over 300lbs and brarely 5 10 tall. thanks robert aka kb48
Report Spam   Logged
KiwiJenn
Administrator
Disability: Neuromuscular Condition
Invacare Equipment: 22 February 2005 - TDX 5, with Tarsy Tilt/Recline and Articulating Elevating Legrests. December 2013 - TDX SR T/R/E/PL

test

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 01:40:09 am »

Hi Robert and welcome to the boards:)

I agree with jakeyboy, look at a TDX SP Tilt/Recline and power articulating elevating leg rests.  The swing away ones are shorter in length when not elevated and the actuators sits under the seat pan on both the left and right side.  The powered centre mount ones are good too but they stick out more and the actuator is on the leg hanger somewhere.  

Swing away elevating legrests

The footplate on this is a powered flipup, it's new and I lost the link from Invacares site.

Back Cushions:  You need to find out what back cushions fit to the Recline as you will need certain back mounts as there are no back canes.  I know the Invacare Personal back and J2 Deep Contour back can be fitted to the recline, other backs you will need to ask about here or your DME and try them out to see what is best for your needs.  If the J2 DC back is working well for you, then it might still be ok for you on the TDX SP.

Here is Invacare's new Contoura back which can have foam added to the laturals.

I think with powerchairs that have been funded via Medicare or Insurance, you get to keep your old chair or sell it off, as I know other members here in the US keep them.  

On the order form of the TDX SP you can select a headrest, there's a Sleath headrest too which is nice and padded compared to the Otto Bock headrests which are just solid rubber.

Stealth Headrest
Report Spam   Logged

jakeyboy1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 08:54:15 am »

Hey Robert,
I see Kiwi answered #2. (I agree)
#1 answer.  I get this question all the time.  With every funding source in the USA, the chair belongs to you.  When they replace it, the first chair is yours to do what ever you want with.  You own it!!  However, the funding source will no longer pay for any repairs on the first chair.  In most cases, I suggest to my customers, to keep it as a "back up chair".   Plug it in once a week, so it is ready whenever you need it.

My advise for your TDX3 leaking gearbox.  After you get your new chair.  Get a friend that is a "gear head" (or yourself) and open up the gear box, add grease, make new seal from gasket material, and close it up.  The gearbox is not designed to be serviced.  Invacare recommends replacing when there is a issue.  I do to, unless you are having to pay out of pocket.  Or, you can buy a new gearbox yourself and install it.
Report Spam   Logged
kb48

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2009, 10:35:29 am »

thank kikijen and jakeyboy1. but as for my old chair i have no place to store it. also was is leaking is the soft plug in the side of the motor. also it will possibly be 6 mounths before i get a new chair and buy that time my tire will be wore out. i amm on ssd so i have very timed funds. also my supplier is always great about giving me a loaner chair when mine needs to go in for repair. also kiwijen thanks for the photos. i am glad to see i can still get the swing away leg rests in power. thats what i will order on my new chair if i get it. the center foot plate is a trip hazderd for and i have to elevate my left leg more than my right so the indavigail leg rests will work better. also kiwiken i will talk with my suplier about the backs. thanks all robert
Report Spam   Logged
jakeyboy1

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2009, 11:38:54 am »

If you have no where to store chair, donate to "wheelchairs for humanity".
Your dealer probably already donates to them.
Report Spam   Logged
kb48

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2009, 06:51:36 pm »

hi jakeyboy1 thanks on the info as to were to donate my chair. but i just talked to my parents and they said i could store it in there garage. know to the leak. the problem is the  black soft plug in the side of the gear box was coming out so i taped it back in but it is not seating know. i know my dealer will not sell me just a soft plug they will want to repair it and replace both motors. i see you work in a repair shop so is there any way you can just get me one of the black soft plugs for the gear box as that will fix the problem. thanks robert
Report Spam   Logged
jakeyboy1

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2009, 02:54:39 pm »

Hey Robert,
Invacare won't sell just the small plug you speak of.  They say not to add grease or service the gearbox.  They recommend replacing the whole thing.

That said.  Here is what I would do; go to a auto part store and get a tube of "gear grease" and gasket material or a really strong sealent.  Tip your chair on the side, pull out plug and throw away, squirt 2 or 3 spoonfulls of grease into the hole, fill whole with sealent/gasket material and wait 6 hours for it to dry.  

Not a perfect fix, but a very low cost option.  I have done this several times.  If you pay very close attention to making a good plug/seal it will work very well.   Your dealer doesn't want to do this kind of fix because it makes them liable if anything happens to you or your chair.  Also they can't bill for that kind of repair....

Good luck.
Report Spam   Logged
kb48

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2009, 07:22:04 pm »

thanks jackeyboy1. the motor has not lost must gease so i think i can just fill the hole with rvt silacone and it will last. the plug is just barely weeping. also do you think medicare medicaid will pay for the j2dc back kikwijen mectioned. i have a stanard 2j right know and i really like it. also will the j2dc fit as kiwijen said it will. also what size steathle heard rest should i go with. i am 5 10 and i waer a 7 1/4 size in a hat. thanks much robert
Report Spam   Logged
KiwiJenn
Administrator
Disability: Neuromuscular Condition
Invacare Equipment: 22 February 2005 - TDX 5, with Tarsy Tilt/Recline and Articulating Elevating Legrests. December 2013 - TDX SR T/R/E/PL

test

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2009, 01:19:41 am »

Hi Robert,

You could just keep your current back without having to pay for another unless you need a different size.  

I've recently been talking to jakeyboy about how the J2 DCB attaches to the Formula CG Recline too and he was telling me this - Regarding the J2 back, you need a way to mount it to the sheer back. If you order the "conventional back" you can use the brackets that come with it. The back comes No/Charge so order it.

My friend who has this TDX SP Tilt/Recline which came with a flat curved type back.  Not sure what the name of this back was, any idea jakeyboy?

This back was removed and the J2 DCB was actually bolted on as Invacare NZ at the time was unsure of how to attach it I'm assuming.  

Headrest - this is off the Order Form

I just checked my order form for my current TDX 5 and the headrest that was ordered is the one next to the red mark on the image, but chair came with the Sleath headrest I showed in above posts.  Seems Invacare are now charging for Headrests
Report Spam   Logged

kb48

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2009, 09:06:22 am »

thank kiwijen. but the contour back is an upgrade from the conventional back wich is the back you you in your lastest pitcure. i am not doughting that the j2dc back will fit. i am just doubling with jackeyboy1 as he work on this chairs all the time. i am also trying to find out if wa medicare medicaid will pay for the j dc2 back. as for using my old back i would rather not. becauce when i get a new chair i will get a new back also and why take the back of my back up chair. thanks kiwijenn robert
Report Spam   Logged
jakeyboy1

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2009, 09:52:50 am »

Good call on the gearbox fix.  Make sure you use a silicone that can handle heat.  Those gearboxs get pretty warm under normal use.  "JB weld" works really well for your application.  

If you "need" a J2 deep contura, then your dealer can get it paid for.  Medicare will pay for "need" not comfort or want.  Your dealer will present your case/need to medicare and request authorization.  They have to justify every option you need.  If they do a good job in justifiing each need, they will pay for it.

Regarding headrest.  Go with the CP280, 10" curved. (that is the one in Kiwi's pic)
Report Spam   Logged
kb48

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2009, 12:53:11 pm »

thanks jackeyboy1 . but if i do want to ad some gearse what grade should i use? as the stuff leaking does not look are feel much heavier than 30 weight motor oil. i am just trying to keep the chair going until i get my new chair. also i would like to keep it going as long as possible with out having to buy a new motor out of pocket as they are really spendy thanks robert
Report Spam   Logged
jakeyboy1

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2009, 04:52:37 pm »

Home depot, general purpose grease.  $5 for a quart.  Has the consistancy of jelly.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: