Invacare Boards
March 28, 2024, 11:19:07 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Invacare Boards.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the HELP by clicking the link below. You may have to REGISTER before you can post: click the register link below to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home   Forum   Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

TDX SR Discussion

Recent Items

Views: 43
Comments (0)
By: BamaBobAlex

Views: 29
Comments (0)
By: KiwiJenn

Views: 24
Comments (0)

Views: 20
Comments (0)
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: TDX SR Discussion  (Read 7419 times)
jakeyboy1

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2008, 06:23:50 pm »

Just test drove today.  Handles smoother then the TDXsp.  It feels like it is hugging the ground more. (not that the SP handled bad)  Totally noticed the extra mph.

The CG seating is identical to the seating that is on the SP.  I'm defently going to order one.
Report Spam   Logged
KiwiJenn
Administrator
Disability: Neuromuscular Condition
Invacare Equipment: 22 February 2005 - TDX 5, with Tarsy Tilt/Recline and Articulating Elevating Legrests. December 2013 - TDX SR T/R/E/PL

test

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2008, 12:29:00 am »

That's good to hear it rides smoothly:)  I can't wait to try one in April.

Jakeyboy you know how the TDX 5 front castor's lift up on fast or high torque/power turning, does the TDX SR do this?  My friend who has a TDX SP has said that the front castor's don't lift like the TDX 5 castor's do but again he may have slower turning settings compared to me (he has 4 pole motors too)

Another question: Due to the upgraded SureStep and Stability Lock does the ride feel less rough? compared to a TDX 5.  (with foam filled tires that is)  My feet tend to slide off the footplates a lot due to the rougher ride, keeping in mind I do have foam filled drive wheels.

Yea the HDTTGGB motors should be the excat same GB's as on the current TDX chairs with a max speed of 7.5mph/12khm.

I do wonder if Invacare made a mistake on there site as they have the HDTTGB motors at 7MPH and I think they mean 7.5MPH.  I wouldn't think they would go changing the HDTTGB motors due to an upgraded powerchair lol
Report Spam   Logged

jakeyboy1

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2008, 10:16:50 am »

The casters stay on the ground all the time.  Even under really hard acceleration and turning.  I jacked up the settings and couldn't get them to come up.  The demo I test drove had flat frees.  It was very smooth!!  I just need to decide what color to get.

Point of interest. I live in southern California in the US. We almost always use flat frees in all power chairs.  I find it funny to read about flat frees as a option.  When I see a power chair without FF I think it was a mistake.  I've been in this buisness for 10 years and driven/worked on hundreds of power chairs.  Only 1 or 2 of them have been without flatfrees.
Report Spam   Logged
KiwiJenn
Administrator
Invacare Equipment: 22 February 2005 - TDX 5, with Tarsy Tilt/Recline and Articulating Elevating Legrests. December 2013 - TDX SR T/R/E/PL

test

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2008, 04:10:42 pm »

That's really good to know, I think I prefer the castors to stay in contact with the ground at high settings.
What would be keeping the castors on the ground then?  What has been changed from the TDX Series to the TDX SP and TDX SR to prevent the castors from lifting?  

What about when going up a ramp? do the castor's lift up

Quote from: jakeyboy1;709
The casters stay on the ground all the time.  Even under really hard acceleration and turning.  I jacked up the settings and couldn't get them to come up.  The demo I test drove had flat frees.  It was very smooth!!  I just need to decide what color to get.

About the flat free tires.  Here in New Zealand, we have to have a dam good reason why we want flat free/foam filled drive wheels otherwise we get air tires.  Foam filled tires are an extra cost, so the less cost to the chair the better for the funding.  I go with foam filled drive wheels as I love alone and I do a lot of driving out and about.  I think the tire options should be optional at no cost lol:p
Report Spam   Logged

FlyfreeIzzie

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2008, 04:37:21 am »

Weird.. I live in san diego... lol.. and ive had air tires..... because my insurance didnt want to pay the extra cost of the flat frees.... I have to dsay its more comfortable to me to have air filled b/c when i changed to flatfrees on my own *due to getting multiple flats.. ugh... I found the ride much rougher and didnt appreciate that... lol. However with the new TDX.. it seems to me like its design will be fine even with flat free I hope. My current scooter sits on leaf springs supposedly so it's supposed to go with the bounce but I know I feel it especialy when im having a lot of spasms and pain... it def. doesnt help me in that area!!

Jen, since kiwi land is supposed to be like the crazy sports enthusiest country in the world, you should tell the insurance that you need flatfree tires so that you can go on offroad adventures like everyone else in the country!1 hahaha..... I watch way to much The Amazing Race... whoo hooo..... scary place Aukland is with some of their extreme sports..... Water Luge... wow...
Report Spam   Logged
KiwiJenn
Administrator

test

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2008, 03:05:25 pm »

hehe I do have foam filled tires as I wheel around all over the place.  I used to get flat's a lot but I told my therapist I'm not going to risk getting flats again.  Also since I live alone this helped me get foam filled tires:)

I too watch the Amazing Race:)  we have bungee jump off the Queenstown Bridge lol, I know someone in a manual chair who did that:eek:  

Jen, since kiwi land is supposed to be like the crazy sports enthusiest country in the world, you should tell the insurance that you need flatfree tires so that you can go on offroad adventures like everyone else in the country!1 hahaha..... I watch way to much The Amazing Race... whoo hooo..... scary place Aukland is with some of their extreme sports..... Water Luge... wow...
Report Spam   Logged

jakeyboy1

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2008, 09:01:51 am »

Rearding keeping the front casters on the ground.  Invacare did two things.  First, there is a gas shock that connects the front frame to the back frame.  This is the suspension.  It allows the front and rear to move up and down but the shock applies downward pressure whereas the older TDX relied on gravity to keep the casters on the ground.  Second, the swing arms, (front and rear frame) are attached to the center frame at a higher and lower point.  This allows for more articulation.  aka smoother ride.....
Report Spam   Logged
steweey

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2008, 07:21:50 pm »

Hi, I am new to the board and have a question about what medicare will pay for.  My DME provider told me that Medicare will not approve the TDX SR because it's considered a heavy dut power chair and told me that I would have to go with the SP because thats the highest Medicare would go.  I have Medicare as my primary insuarance and Medi-Cal as my secondary.  I want to be sure that he is giving me the correct information before he orders the chair for me.

Does anyone know if Medicare will approve the SR?  I appreciate any information any of you might have regarding this.

Thanks.
Report Spam   Logged
KiwiJenn
Administrator

test

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2008, 11:25:01 pm »

Hi steweey and welcome:)

Both the TDX SP and TDX SR can come with a 'Weight Capacity' of 300lbs and 400lbs so that can't be the reason.  The TDX SP comes standard with pole motors and the TDX SR comes standard with Heavy Duty True Track GB (HDTTGB) motors.  The TDX SP is a Group 3 and the TDX SR i'd say is Group 4 package.

Knowing the above, this maybe why they say the TDX SR is considered a heavy duty chair as it has the heavy duty GB motors on it.

If there are reasons why the TDX SP does not suit your needs and the TDX SR suits our needs better, you may have to justifiy this better.

I do know that Medicare checks your needs/ability and fits you in the correct Group from 1-4, then you can choose the best powerchair in that group that suits your needs better.  

Sorry if I'm not explaining it well, I live in New Zealand and going by what I've heard and read from others and on the net:)

Other members here maybe able to correct me here.
Report Spam   Logged

jakeyboy1

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2008, 09:48:31 am »

Jenn said it well.
The comment from your dealer regarding "heavy duty" is not the reason.
A SP is a group 3 power chair.
A SR is a group 4 power chair.
98% of the time Medicare will only pay for a group 3 chair.  The only reasons a group 4 gets approved is if the end user needs to drive the chair with sip and puff or head array.  Even then it is a hard battle to get approved.

Typically what I recomend is to have the dealer accept the reiumbursment of a group 3 chair and have the customer pay the difference.  Unfortuantly, when Medi-cal is involved, you can not do that.
Report Spam   Logged
steweey

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2008, 01:13:17 pm »

Thanks for the information.  The dealer said there is no way I can pay the difference since I have Medi-Cal also.  I think I will be happy with the SP, but I would like the little extra speed that the SR has.
Report Spam   Logged
jakeyboy1

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2008, 04:06:47 pm »

I just test drove a SR.  (I am in a SP))  Totally, the extra speed and smoother acceleration is worth it.
Report Spam   Logged
JSB075

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2008, 02:06:18 am »

Hi,
  I am test driving a TDX-SP on the 26th of this month I can't wait very excited. I really enjoy finding extra information from this forum so to read about a new chair TDX-SR which has improved from the SP was great. I thought if the SP is suited to me then I'm lucky enough to be in the position I could order the SR with the works. That was until I asked my profider about the SR & got this reply. "The TDX-SR is the same as the TDXSP but with a motor upgrade to Gearless brushless motors. In order to save confusion here in OZ they are being imported still as TDXSP but we can still upgrade the motor to be the same as the TDXSR". So I take it in Australia there is no New Chair no Wider Rear Caster Spacing no other improvments just a SP with the motor upgrade. This can't be right can it please tell me if & hopefully when I can get a SR. There is a difference between the SR & SP isn't there.

Thank you  Jason
Report Spam   Logged
KiwiJenn
Administrator

test

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2008, 03:08:45 am »

Hi Jason and welcome:)

Invacare New Zealand only have three TDX SR in the country and there is a massive waiting list of people wanting to test the chair out.

I think Australia will soon have TDX SR there too.  As far as I know the TDX SP can't be upgraded to having HDTTGB motors.  

The TDX SP and TDX SR wheelbase are basically the same, but the wheelbase width of the TDX SR is an 25" wide due to the HDTTGB motors, the TDX SP base width is 24".  The both have wider rear castor spacing as well.

The TDX SP replaces the TDX 3 & 4 and is the powerchair that fits the funding crieteria here in NZ for most users, going for an Invacare chair.

TDX SR replaces the TDX 5 and is the top end powerchair.  It's more for those that need head control/sip n puff etc or if your a heavy user (weight wise) you may have a chance of getting the TDX SR.
Report Spam   Logged

Malcolmtdx5
Disability: Cerebral palsy
Invacare Equipment: TDX SP (2010), Tilt/Recline/Elevating Leg Rests TDX 5 (2003 - 2010) Invacare Ranger 2 Rear-wheel Drive (1997 2003 ) I've been using power chairs since 1971

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2010, 05:29:03 pm »

I might be getting to try one of these this afternoon if everything goes well :-) I've been told that the SR; is the model I'd be getting if I go for an Invarcare chair. This is really my preference as I have really enjoy the TDX 5I have currently; but it's a bit long in the tooth now and my setting options need to be adjusted. I'll keep you posted on my progress

Cheers,

Malcolm.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: